Moscow – Kazan – Yekaterinburg – Novosibirsk – Irkutsk – Lake Baikal – Ulan Ude – Ulaan Baatar – Gorkhi-Terelj National Park – Beijing
Travel one of the world’s greatest rail journeys in style eastbound between Moscow and Beijing through Mongolia.
Golden Eagle by Lake Baikal
Enquiry / Booking Form
- Jun 09-22, 2012
Prices per person in USD dollars
Imperial Suite Cabin
- USD $27,995.00 ~ Twin
- USD $38,995.00 ~ Single
- USD $4,000.00 ~ Deposit required
Gold Class Cabin
- USD $17,795.00 ~ Twin
- USD $24,995.00 ~ Single
- USD $2,000.00 ~ Deposit required
Silver Class Cabin
- USD $14,395.00 ~ Twin
- USD $20,795.00 ~ Single
- USD $1,500.00 ~ Deposit required
- Jun 09-22, 2012
Golden Eagle Silver Class cabin converted for day use
- 01 night in Moscow
- 08 nights onboard the Golden Eagle
- 01 night in Ulaan Baatar
- 03 nights in Beijing
- **Freedom of Choice Touring Options
- International and domestic airfares
- Visa and excess baggage charges
- Personal expenses such as drinks in the bar car, laundry, spa treatments, hairdressing, etc.
- On some tours there may also be an occasional optional activity that needs to be paid for locally
Golden Eagle Gold Class cabin converted to day use
**Freedom of Choice Touring
Customise your journey and enjoy the opportunity to select from an array of Freedom of Choice Touring options that best suits your interests. Your off-train excursions will still take in all the major attractions of the places we are visiting but, in featured locations, you will be presented when you are onboard the train with a variety of activities from which to choose, and enjoy a tailor-made experience. In Moscow for example, you could choose to spend time in the Tretyakov Picture Gallery, which is not part of the standard touring programme; or you might choose to go shopping in the local markets and bazaars; or spend a day relaxing in a local spa (*treatments extra). In short, it means that your holiday is just that, your very own, and it’s all included in the tour price, with no more for you to pay. It is the ultimate in flexibility. Look at the individual itineraries where we are operating Freedom of Choice Touring. Freedom of Choice Touring options may be subject to variations dependent on finalised train timings and local charges. Touring options available will typically be advised in the evening prior to the day’s tour.
- Experienced Tour Managers Our experienced tour managers and their assistants are selected for their travel knowledge and organisational abilities allowing you to relax and enjoy your voyage of a lifetime. We receive many exceptional passenger comments about our Tour Managers and their aim is to ensure you enjoy every minute of your holiday.
- Arrival and Departure Transfers Arrival and departure transfers are included.
- Hotel and On Board Accommodation Although you will spend much of your time sightseeing or relaxing in the train’s public areas, you will find you hotel room or cabin a welcome retreat at the end of a rewarding day. Hotel and onboard accommodation as described in your individual tour itinerary are included in the tour price. All hotels are of 5 star standard or, in certain locations, the best available. Room upgrades are available on request and at extra cost.
- Welcome and Farewell Dinners Each tour begins with a Welcome Dinner, an ideal opportunity to get to know your fellow passengers; for the Tour Manager to brief you on the trip; and introduce you to the GW Travel team and the Tour Doctor. The Farewell Dinner is the perfect end to your adventure by private train where you can relive the journey and look ahead to future tours.
- Route Guide, Itinerary and Information Pack When you board the train there will be a brochure in your cabin detailing more about your journey and the places en-route. Our Tour Manager will organise a programme of briefings on the cities or places we visit and, each evening, will issue a programme for the next day’s touring schedule.
- Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner Daily All departures feature one or two uniquely designed restaurant cars where you can enjoy the excellent waiter-served food and wine. Several times during the tour we will also sample authentic local cuisine off the train.
- Drinks with Meals A generous drinks allowance is included with lunch and dinner. For passengers travelling in Gold Class onboard the Golden Eagle, drinks from the Standard Drinks List in the Bar Car are also included.
- On Board Service Throughout your tour you can expect service which is attentive, friendly and unintrusive. The high ratio of staff to passengers means there is always someone available should you need assistance.
- Guided Off-Train Excursions All our tours include a wide-ranging sightseeing schedule to make the most of the time you have off the train and bring you closer to the culture, people and history of your destinations. We believe it is the special little touches that help create magical memories – whether it is attending a private concert in the middle of Siberia, or drinking tea picked from the very plantations where you are sitting, nestled in the foothills of the mighty Himalayas.
- Personal Headsets On all the off–train excursions, to enhance your enjoyment and comprehension of the places you visit, you will be provided with a lightweight personal headset on which to listen to your tour guide as you take in the sights. So you do not need to worry about missing any of the interesting details on your excursions.
- On Board Doctor and Medical Facilities To give you peace of mind our tours are accompanied by a doctor who travels with us for the entire journey; so you can rest assured that medical assistance is always available. On call 24 hours a day, the doctor is on hand to give primary care as required. Normally, the doctor will be English speaking and be registered with the General Medical Council in the UK.
- 24 Hour Service Attendant Your car attendants provide 24-hour housekeeping and bedding turndown services, with one attendant always on duty to assist you and to ensure you are comfortable in your cabin. Complimentary tea, coffee and bottled drinking water are available in your cabin 24 hours a day.
- Porterage Porterage is included between the hotels and stations.
- All Gratuities All gratuities are included in the tour price.
- Jun 09-22, 2012
Golden Eagle Trans-Mongolian Express Eastbound
Day 01 / Moscow
Arrive at Moscow airport, where you are met and transferred to the luxurious five-star Marriott Royal Aurora hotel (or similar) located in the heart of this vibrant city for a one-night stay. We enjoy a welcome reception dinner at our hotel, whilst you meet your fellow travellers and anticipate the epic 14 day voyage that lies ahead.
Day 02 / Moscow
Our city tour of Moscow principally takes us to Red Square, an iconic symbol of Russia’s former military and political might. Here we see an eclectic mix of fascinating architecture, such as the ornate St Basil’s Cathedral with its magnificent onion-domed spires, the grandeur of The Kremlin and the sombre and evocative site of Lenin’s tomb. Late afternoon sees us boarding the luxurious Golden Eagle. After settling into our modern, stylish cabins, we enjoy dinner in one of the beautifully designed restaurant cars as our adventure eastwards to Beijing begins.
Day 03 / Kazan
We arrive at the picturesque and historic city of Kazan by mid-morning. Situated on the River Volga, Kazan is the capital of Tatarstan. Here we have the opportunity to see for ourselves its rich tapestry of history and culture. One of the highlights of this city tour is our exploration of the Kremlin Fortress, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Within the walls of this ancient citadel we will explore its stunning mosque and onion-domed cathedral. After enjoying a relaxing dinner on the Golden Eagle, you may wish to retire to our welcoming bar car where you can enjoy drinks with new friends whilst listening to our resident pianist.
Day 04 / Yekaterinburg
We cross the Europe/Asia divide before arriving in the historic city of Yekaterinburg. Founded in 1723 by Peter the Great, the third largest Russian city is also the capital of the Urals. The cultural and architectural influences of European and Asian civilisations come together in this fascinating and cosmopolitan landscape. Our city tour takes us to the poignant site where the Romanov, Nicholas II of Russia was executed with his family by the Bolsheviks in 1918. Now a church dedicated to their memory, this site provides us with a powerful insight into the turmoil of the Russian Revolution.
Day 05 / Novosibirsk
A modern ‘Soviet’ city, we experience the life and character of Novosibirsk’s rich culture where the arts, science and literature predominate. Our city tour takes us to the Opera House. An architectural marvel, it houses two permanent ballet and opera companies and is the largest opera house in the world. In front of the Opera House, we visit an imposing statue of Lenin – a marvellous opportunity to have your photograph taken with this iconic political leader.
Day 06 / Onboard Golden Eagle
A day to unwind and reflect on the many sights and sounds we have experienced on our journey so far. Chat to your fellow passengers, perhaps learn a few words of Russian or simply enjoy the ever changing landscape outside your window as it unfolds.
Day 07 / Irkutsk
We arrive in Irkutsk, the ‘Paris of Siberia’, and our visit today takes in the most significant sites and museums in this fascinating city, including an exploration of the classic wooden architecture that has given many of this region’s buildings such a distinctive and unique appearance. Next, we visit the Decembrist House museum which is dedicated to the memory of the exiled aristocrats who were forced to flee to this remote outpost after the failed revolution of 1825. Here we enjoy a private concert before returning to our waiting train for dinner.
Day 08 / Lake Baikal
Few natural sights can surpass the beauty and grandeur of Lake Baikal. For five hours we wind our way through tunnels along cliff hugging tracks above the lake with a vista of snow capped peaks along the far shore forming a picture-perfect backdrop. Lake Baikal is the deepest lake in the world and holds 20% of the world’s freshwater. Also known as the ‘Pearl of Siberia’ it is home to a unique breed of freshwater seal and over fifty species of fish including omul which we will be serving in the dining car for some of our meals. Weather permitting, we stop at one of Baikal’s picturesque and secluded bays to enjoy a delicious BBQ including freshly smoked fish prepared by our own chefs. For the brave hearted, there is even time for a refreshing swim in the crystal clear waters. In the afternoon, we visit Listvyanka, a small Baikal settlement nestling at the base of the surrounding hills.
Day 09 / Ulan Ude
This morning we arrive in Ulan Ude, capital of the Buryat Republic. The ethnic and cultural diversity of this area offers a unique insight into its heritage. As we tour the area you will notice the different faces and dress styles of these welcoming people. During our exploration of the Old Believers Village we have the opportunity to learn about the culture and history of these religious people as we are treated to a traditional meal and enjoy a concert featuring local dancers and musicians.
Day 10 / Ulaan Baatar, Mongolia
Our rail adventure takes us onto Ulaan Baatar, the capital of Mongolia. This morning we visit the Gandan Monastery, the National History and Natural History Museums where explore the country’s intriguing history as well as experiencing the city’s Sukhe Baatar Square. Following lunch in a local city restaurant, you are free to spend your afternoon shopping for traditional Mongolian gifts. This evening we will stay at the Hotel Mongolia in a traditional Ger (with private en-suite facilities) and we will enjoy a special dinner with a Mongolian throat singing folk show.
Mongolian Gers or dwellings
Day 11 / Gorkhi-Terelj National Park
Today we travel to Gorkhi-Terelj National Park where we can enjoy the opportunity of hiking and horse-riding amongst the natural beauty of Mongolia as well as a visit to a local nomadic family. Lunch is taken Mongol-style in a Ger as we experience an authentic meal, enjoying excellent lcoal dishes and entertainment providing a day of unique opportunity to encounter this time-honoured nomadic way of life. Early evening we transfer to Ulaan Baatar airport for our flight to Beijing. Upon arrival in China we transfer to the five-star Regent Hotel for a three-night stay.
Day 12 / Beijing
This morning our cultural exploration of the heart of Beijing begins with a visit to the Temple of Heaven, the grandest of the four great temples situated in Beijing. Here we experience enchanting displays of traditional dancing, singing and the delicately precise ancient art of calligraphy. We also have a guided rickshaw tour through the narrow Hutongs, the traditional courtyard residences of Old beijing. After lunch in a local city restaurant we will visit historic Tiananmen Square and explore the magnificently restored Forbidden City.
Day 13 / Beijing
We devote our final full day in Beijing to the most awe-inspiring site in the whole of China – The Great Wall. This amazing edifice is perhaps the most evocative symbol of Chinese skill and precision. At Badaling we have the privilege of walking along a portion of the wall – the perfect opportunity to take some memorable photographs with your fellow guests. Our farewell banquet is hosted in an authentic Peking Duck restaurant, where we say goodbye to our farewell travelling companions.
Day 14 / Beijing
Following breakfast, you will be transferred to Beijing Airport for international departures.